The Most Flavorful Meatless Pinto Beans You Will Ever Make

So growing up in the south I have eaten pork all of my life. Ham hocks, fat back and the other boiling meats have been a staple in our home. As I have gotten older and more in to my health and staying alive longer, I have tried to take a lot of the pork out of diet. Lets not get crazy I still love bacon, ham and ham hocks. I just eat it in moderation now. I'm also the only person in my house that really eats that stuff so not cooking a lot of it is not hard.

With all of that being said, I have figured out a way to make pinto beans without boiling meat and still have them tasting amazing. They're actually better in my opinion.  So here we go!

INGREDIENTS:

-32oz bag of pinto beans
-1 whole onion
- Bay leaves
-3 garlic cloves (can be adjusted for your taste. I looove garlic)
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, a little curry powder and crushed pepper flakes, and a bouillon cube of your choice. (the veggie one is good!)
- water

(Side note: I cook these beans in the crock pot so they can be done in time for dinner and be out of the way in case I need to step out of the house. Sometimes I cook them overnight on low. Makes the house smell amazing. )

DIRECTIONS:
-Pick through the beans and make sure there aren't any funny looking ones or rocks or bugs in there. 
-Wash them off with hot water. I rinse and agitate them a couple times because they are usually very dirty
-Put them in a pot of water and boil them for 2 minutes then turn them off and let them sit for an hour with the lid on. (This is the quick soak method)
- While the beans are boiling, go ahead and quarter your onion, chop the garlic up and place it in the crock pot. 
- Once the beans are done soaking, strain them and add them to the crock pot
-I do not measure my seasonings, I just eyeball it. Go ahead and add your spices and seasoning and your bouillon cube. 
- Lastly add water to the crock pot until the beans are covered by about an inch of water. 
-Taste the water to make sure that there is enough salt for your liking. If it is not now is the time to add it
- Put the lid on, crank that baby to high if you want it done in half the time or put it on low if you want to cook slow. 
 -The beans are done when you get one out and can smash it between your fingers and its the consistency you like. I like mine to smash and be like refried beans 

Peace and Love,
Hope you enjoy the recipe above!

Comments